The COVID-19 pandemic did not prove to be a barrier to excellence in this year’s submissions to the Asia Young Designer 2020 (AYDA2020) competition. If anything, it may have even helped the students in coming up with innovative and empathic designs.
The theme for this year is FORWARD: HUMAN-CENTRED DESIGN. It reflects the need for designers to provide practical and socially-conscious design solutions for a rapidly growing population in a globalized world.
It encourages our students to create designs that transcend beauty – designs that also respond and empathize with the needs of the humans the spaces are being designed for.More than 400 entries were received this year and so many designs were so inspiring that our judges had such difficulty trimming them down. After reviewing all the boards and design statements and much discussion, they were able to choose the top 10 in Architecture and Interior Design.
AYDA2020 Panel of Judges
Every year, notables in the Architecture and Interior Design industry are brought together to assess the works of our talented students and to award the prize and internship opportunities. Here are our judges for AYDA2020:
1. Ar. Leo Pariñas, President & CEO of LPPA Design Group (Head Judge)
2. Ar. Boon Che Wee, Director at GRA Architects Malaysia
3. Ar. Ana Mangalino-Ling, Partner & Associate at JSLA Architects
4. Ar. Nina Bailon-Arce, Partner at Arce-Bailon-Arce Architects
5. Ar. Ma. Benita Regala, Department Manager at Housing Technology Development Office National Housing Authority
6. Ar. Eduardo Casares, UAP Chairman Committee on Commissions
7. Ar. Renato Heray, UAP National President and Owner of RAH Architecture and Landscape Corporation
8. Ar. Richard Garcia, Vice President of Visionarch
In Interior Design:
1. IDr. Cara Marcelo, Founder of CMM Interior Design and Consultancy (Head Judge)
2. IDr. Chat Fores, Founder of Chat Fores Design Studio
3. IDr. Fendarie Su, Founder of Santa Fe Interior Architecture SDH BHD
4. IDr. Cynthia Almario, founder of Atelier Almario
5. IDr. Ivy Almario, founders of Atelier Almario
6. IDr. Michael Pizarro, Founder of Michael Pizarro Interior Design
Architecture Top 10
1. BALSAHAN by Joana Marie L. Ramirez of Mapua University
2. COMM[UNITY] by Kim Russel Manjares of Lyceum Of The Philippines University – Cavite
3. ECOPOD by Reyanne April P. Cepriano of Bulacan State University
4. ESKINITA by Yson Karl M. Dañez of Polytechnic University of the Philippines
5. ESTERO RECYCLING HUB by Napoleon Marion Clarke F. Mui of the University of Santo Tomas
6. GREEN ON GRID: THE TRIANGLE HOMES by Dhennies Rivas of Nueva Ecija University of Science and Technology
7. HU-MANGROVES PROJECT by John Briggs H. Gime of Eulogio “Amang” Rodriguez Institute Of Science And Technology
8. PROJECT N.O.A.H. by Erol Kim Mandocdoc of Batangas State University
9. SILONG by Paul John A. Jandoc of the University of Baguio
10. THE CUBE: REHABILITATION OF DIVISORIA by Nikko S. Regalado of De La Salle College of Saint Benilde
Interior Design Top 10
1. BAGASSE MOUNTAIN RESORT by Margaret Therese S. Hagad of De La Salle-College of Saint Benilde
2. BAKHAWAN by Ryan Japhet A. Gablines of the University of San Carlos
3. COMPLEJO DE PLAZA by Jazel Lynn P. Ong of De La Salle-College of Saint Benilde
4. KABAGTAO by James Marie Kyle O. Colina of the University of San Carlos – Cebu
5. MEMORABILIA by Jazzy Caroline Q. Kho of the University of Santo Tomas
6. PARAISO: THE ECO-SITIO by Renzo V. Montenegro of the University of San Carlos
7. PIERIDAE CANCER CARE CENTER by Alyssa Len A. Rodriguez of the University of Santo Tomas
8. PUNTA SALAG: SILOY ECO-RESERVE by Ynes Sofia A. Manguerra of De La Salle-College of Saint Benilde
9. PUYANAN by Lauren Ghenrich L. Khoo of De La Salle-College of Saint Benilde
10. TUKLAS by John Earo J. Roque of the University of Santo Tomas
Each of the top 10 finalists a cash prize of ₱10,000 plus opportunities for internship. On top of that, recipients of special awards receive additional prizes.
The Gold Award recipient will receive a cash prize of ₱50,000, internship opportunities, and will also represent the Philippines in the upcoming regional competition where he or she has the chance of winning the Platinum Award and be declared the Asia Young Designer of the Year.
The Silver Award recipient will receive a cash prize of ₱30,000 plus internship opportunities.
The recipient of the Best Green Innovation Award will receive a cash prize of ₱10,000.
The recipient of the Best Colour Choice Award will receive a cash prize of ₱10,000.
The recipient of the People’s Choice Award will receive a cash prize of ₱5,000.
The Best Mentor Award is given to the mentor of the Gold Award winner. He or she will receive a cash prize of ₱10,000.
The award for Best Supporting College/University is given to the school with a finalist and has sent in the most entries. They will receive a cash prize of ₱10,000 plus paint vouchers worth ₱10,000.
The award for Best College/University is given to the school of the Gold Award recipient. They will receive a cash prize of ₱10,000 plus paint vouchers worth ₱10,000.
The recipients of the Best Colour Choice award are:
• Nikko Regalado of Dela Salle College of Saint Benilde in Architecture
• Ryan Japhet Gablines of the University of San Carlos – Cebu in Interior Design
The recipients of the Best Green Innovation Award are:
• Yson Karl Dañez of the Polytechnic University of the Philippines
• Ynes Sofia Manguerra of Dela Salle College of Saint Benilde
The People’s Choice Award is garnered from votes made by their supporters on the Nippon Paint Facebook Page. They are:
• Erol Kim Mandocdoc of Batangas State University in Architecture
• Jazzy Caroline Kho of the University of Santo Tomas
The Best Supporting College/University goes to the school of a finalist who has sent in the most entries to the competition.
In both Architecture and Interior Design this award was given to De La Salle-College of Saint Benilde.
The Silver Award is given to the finalist who placed second in their category. They are:
• Napoleon Marion Clarke Mui of the University of Santo Tomas in Architecture
• Lauren Ghenrich Khoo of Dela Salle College of Saint Benilde
The Gold Award is given to the finalist who placed first in their category. They are:
• Paul John Jandoc of the University of Baguio in Architecture
• Margaret Therese Hagad of Dela Salle College of Saint Benilde in Interior Design
Paul John Jandoc and Margaret Therese Hagad will represent the Philippines at the upcoming regional competition where they have the chance to win the Platinum Award and get declared the Asia Young Designer Award for the Year!
The Best College/University goes to the school of the Gold Award winner. At the same time, the Best Mentor Award goes to the mentor of the Gold Award winner. They are Ar. Tim-Paul Villanueva of the University of Baguio in Architecture and IDr. Karol Ann Antonio of De La Salle-College of Saint Benilde in Interior Design
Congratulations to all the winners! You make us all proud.
For more information about the Asia Young Designer Award, visit the website at https://www.youngdesigneraward.ph/ and the social media accounts as follows:
• Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/nipponpaintaydaph
• Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/nipponpaintaydaphl/
• Twitter: https://twitter.com/aydaph